Cranberry Sauce is a Christmas must recipe, I have been making this recipe for years as it is so easy and quick and has so much flavour. It is made with just 5 simple ingredients using apples and cinnamon to add a warm wintery taste. This recipe can be made using fresh or frozen cranberries. The sugar content in this recipe is lower than most shop bought cranberry sauce so is more healthy.
Uses for Cranberry Sauce…
- Use as a condiment for poultry and meat dishes, as well as turkey, it goes great with chicken, beef and pork.
- Use as a glaze for the above meat, spread a layer over the top of the joint about 10 minutes before the meat is cooked and a cranberry caramelized glaze will form
- Add to dishes like stuffing, nut roast, meatballs or casseroles to bring some sweetness
- Spread on sandwiches or use as a jam on bread or crostinis
- Add to smoothies or with yogurt and granola in a breakfast bowl
- Serve with cheese as a side dip; Camembert goes great with cranberry
- Add into gravies or stock to bring some thick sweetness
- Add a teaspoon to a glass of prosecco for a cranberry cocktail! (check out more cocktail ideas here!)
Cranberry sauce with a glass of Prosecco and a slice of orange to make a Christmas Cranberry Cocktail
For storing this sauce, it can last up to 3 months in the fridge. Be sure to use a clean and sterilized jar or container, see our tips on sterilizing here.
Ingredients in Cranberry Sauce
Cranberries (fresh or frozen), apple, cinnamon, brown and white sugar.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce vs Store Bought!
In true preserved kitchen style, I always like to look at homemade vs store bought. Now for this Christmas condiment, it is relatively cheap and most recipes don’t contain any crazy ingredients. But I find this homemade recipe is beyond more delicious than anything I’ve ever bought!
The below is based on our recipe vs Ocean Spray Smooth Cranberry Sauce
|vs Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce||Store bought||Homemade|
|Special Dietary||Vegetarian + Gluten Free||Vegan + Gluten Free|
|Suspicious Ingredients||Cranberry Puree|
|Comments||– Cranberry Puree a pureed version of cranberries, but with added water and sweetener. Using puree as an ingredient instead of real cranberries hides the amount of actual fruit, water and sugar ratio.|
This recipe is part of our Christmas food gift Hamper series!
Check out all these recipes as part of our Hamper gift idea here
- 300 g Cranberries can be fresh or frozen
- 1 lg Apple
- 20 g Caster Sugar
- 60 g Brown Sugar
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- Place all your ingredients into a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to boil.
- If it begins to stick ass a splash of water to loosen the mix. Boil for 5 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn the heat to low to boil down for a further 15 mins, stir occasionally. You want the apples to have completely soften and the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot or leave to completely cool and decant into jar. Use within 3 months
Check out more of our Christmas inspired recipes like this Cherry Vodka
Did you feel inspired to this recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below